Saturday, December 5, 2015

Symphonie des Arts Holiday Show!

Hello! Spent a lively afternoon at the Symphonie des Arts (local ballet school) holiday show. One of my students, as well as many others from grades 2-6 (and up) from TASOK participated and did an amazing job. The location is a lovely plant filled garden that includes essentially a covered picnic area that is filled with Christmas merchandise, food and MANY hot parents, siblings, and associated onlookers such as myself. (Without enough chairs!) Through some bizarre and insane turn of events, I did not seem to be the most uncomfortably hot one there (I had napped before and that had maybe regulated my temperature?) which is very unusual for me! So I had a lovely time. First was a stop at the oldest church in Kinshasa (very close to the dance school) for a view of their lovely garden (Frangipani obsession! Look how perfect! Even the spiraled buds!)


and the Brazzaville bridge they are slowly building on the other side of the Congo.


Photo Credit:Emily 
We were greeted upon arrival by this huge angel, Christmas tree and the nutcracker you can see behind it. 



We had a fair amount of time to spare before the show (we were trying to get seats, too late for that, so we shopped instead!) Here is a sample of the goods on display, this aisle was all stuff from the nice store that the dance school runs. You can also see the decoration of the building in the background.


I am so glad my Christmas shopping is all done! So I could just enjoy looking. Incidentally this store is where I finished my shopping (when it is located in the dance school, not in the outdoor area) so you might be looking at your gift! haha. I went on a quest to find more chairs... and ended up finding this stork instead, because apparently a dance school and store also needs a stork?!?! Only in Congo.


I was supposed to be taking the month off from Nice cream, but it was so hot - you can see our fans in the picture - that I couldn't resist the incredibly yummy treat provided by another recital-goer in our group. (Thanks Marie!) You can see the decor and stage in the background, as well as one of the dance teachers in a Santa outfit handing out the programs. Overall a fine (and warm!) Kinshasa afternoon spent! Still acquiring the pictures for my next post, slowly but surely! Next weekend! 

Photo Credit: Nikki



No comments:

Post a Comment