Thursday, August 21, 2014

Classroom

Good morning to all! I am going to post today because I have a busy weekend lined up and no workout this morning. I am so happy because leaves are falling, even though it's the beginning of spring here, not fall... so it really feels like back to school. Not all the trees seem to be losing leaves, but enough!
I thought I would show off my classroom because you haven't seen pictures of that yet. This is the view from the entrance of one of the doors. We have two doors, one is for specials it seems and one is for our main daily use, lunch, playground, arrival/departure. 
My desk and the assistant teacher's desk are in the background. These are the tables for the kids to sit at... the main difference I have found is the linoleum when I am used to carpeted floors. I find them kind of cold and hard, but other than that the classroom is very nice and big! But it needs to be - by November I will theoretically have 22 kids in 1st grade. 
This is the storage/book area and the door with access to bathrooms, 3rd grade room, library, and ESL room. My kids won't have ESL services because they don't start until 2nd grade, but they like having the classroom next door because the teacher doing ESL now was their kindergarten teacher last year. This the main use door to the left.
Now I have my back to my desk and looking at the specials door and reading group table.
And toward the circle area and nice big easel, as well as our word wall and number corner. As I said, the room is huge, but it is going to need to be huge for the class we are getting. The beginning of school is quite early, we've almost already made it through an entire week, so many families don't get back for the first day. I had 14 students Monday, 15 Tuesday, and 16 for the past two days. The anticipation of wondering if you are going to get a new student is entertaining every morning. Hopefully they all come soon before we start our serious assessments. It is quite annoying to have to administer them over and over to the few stragglers who weren't present for the original assessment. 
This is part of our playground - view out the main door - the kids get nice lengthy recesses and enjoy playing outside. They are a very mixed bag. I have 4 kids who prefer French and seem to be at least partially Congolese. They are willing to speak English in the school setting but use French at recess etc. I'm sure as they get used to English they will use it more and more but for now I am happy to listen to them chat in French. Then I have British, American, Korean and Dutch boys, and Lebanese, Norwegian and Romanian girls. It is a very mixed bag and they have quite varied levels of English proficiency, but I am trying to be very understanding because it is the first week of school and many of them haven't heard a lot of English all summer. It has to be a hard adjustment to come back to school! They are all kind to each other, and many know each other from last year, which is helpful.
This is the door to the school store that I am going to be helping with as part of student council.
This is the view out the specials door, toward the computer lab and gym, then turning right will give access to the music room and art room. The kids have library once a week, and all other specials twice a week for 40 minutes, with French taking place in the classroom. 
With this view of the specials door (nice to look at, impossible to open) I wish you all a great weekend and great school year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment