Saturday, March 4, 2017

Return

The whole name of this blog is 'Something Clever' because I don't ever have anything clever to say about my trips so I say "something clever" instead... so I am loathe to attempt to summarize into anything pretty or simple. I do have a few things to say, but nothing terribly profound I don't think..


  • Random: the vast variety of climates and temperatures that I went through required a stronger face wash than the one I brought with me... my sad skin was not prepared. Otherwise, I had 2 small articles of clothing that I didn't need (but I wore anyway just to make sure everything got used!) and I willfully left my umbrella at home hoping that I wouldn't need it and that was a pipe dream. My hideous pink "I <3 San Francisco" umbrella proves it. Otherwise, with my winter/running gear, workout gear, 2 PJ sets, 4 dresses/leggings sets, jeans and a few miscellaneous tops I was totally fine. A little sick of my clothes, but nothing terrible. (Very grateful for all the places I did laundry!!) I had a pretty reliable packing system and really enjoyed my backpack over a rolling bag, though I am sure rolling would have been fine as well. There is just nothing like putting everything you own in that moment on your back. I was REMARKABLY lucky to keep my bag through every flight and absolutely nothing crazy happened (except for the GROSS food that someone spilled on it in presumably the Edinburgh airport... Friday the 13th! It was too fresh to have happened elsewhere in transit I think.)
  • Being a tourist in January/February is awesome. While it does obviously change your perspective to see places in different seasons, I was very happy for the most part with what I was able to see and with the quantity of people seeing it with me (relatively very few!) I guess I have learned that taking a trade off, I would rather have less ideal weather and fewer humans than see things at their perfect season with 80 bajillion other tourists. I had a great time being cold, because I wasn't being cold at home, and I happily had enough clothes to deal with it. I had a great time being warm, because it was different than being cold. Overall I experienced so much different scenery and so many different things, and I was happy to do it at a relatively 'low' season!
  • I have never been great about "The point is the journey, not the destination". I just don't generally roll that way and I have to really stop and make myself focus on enjoying the journey as opposed to the destination. I can't decide if this trip was good for this problem or bad for it?!?! It was either many small journeys leading to many destinations that I could check off my calendar (Yes I had a two month calendar with all the details of where I was supposed to be and what I was supposed to do each day...) or one long journey back home with many stops along the way. Looked at that way, the whole trip was about enjoying the journey and not the destination... (although coming home is wonderful!) so I think I will indulge in that particular view, while the other interpretation can also be true. Who knows. I did start to kind of have misgivings in places where I didn't know anyone of "Why am I here?" because it seemed like I was just trying to be able to say "I've seen Vancouver" as opposed to really seeing it?!?! Which is not a good way of going about anything... I did start to feel like seeing all the 'touristy' things wasn't the most fulfilling, and I did do a good job of resting and not forcing myself out to do things when I was really tired... but overall I am so lucky to have been able to take this trip and have the time and space to contemplate these kind of ridiculous 'first world problem' kind of questions.
  • In related thoughts, I think had I had fewer destinations I might have read up more on them and been a little more prepared with specific things I wanted to see and historical places to seek out. As it were, I think I flew by the seat of my pants reasonably well and learned interesting things based on where my whims took me, but considering how many destinations there were I didn't get to really 'dig deeper' much of anywhere (however it was much easier when I had local tour guides ie friends to do the work for me, thank you!) I think there is something to be said for staying longer in one place (why I go live places) but this way I got to see tons of friends and wasn't staying in any one place very long. Keeping things interesting! And the true Stanley way! How many milkings was this vacation?
  • I can't remember where I heard this (probably some horrible romantic comedy movie, so forgive me) but it some quote about how vacation is vacating your life. While this could be taken in a bad way, ("Why do you need to vacate your life, is it really that bad?") it has returned to me over and over in this trip for two reasons. First, I got to vacate my life and have totally different food (that I had to choose sometimes but not all the time: I hate choosing food!), only do the dishes at other people's houses (MUCH better than doing dishes at my house), and experience something totally different from my regular for two entire months (That's 1/6th of this year. Holy cow.) It was so refreshing. But also in vacating my life, I am so much more aware and constantly reminded how I am inserting myself into other people's daily lives as a part of their everyday. At home, in my normal routine, it's rare that I think about other people and their everyday, I just assume that they are going about their business as I am. However when on vacation you are constantly seeing other people going about their regular lives as you are just passing through. You think "They do this every day, and today I happened to see it." It is just interesting to me (though now that I explain it, it just sounds kind of ridiculous, sorry...)
  • At the beginning of the trip, beset by terrible jet lag and a pretty miserable mood (I blame the darkness in both Vermont and Norway) I was just kind of getting through. I was very happy with my race and learned some really cool stuff in Norway, but it was really Natalie in Edinburgh who helped me snap out of it and start to be 'awake' again. As the trip evolved I did feel less crummy and have some time to think about where my life is headed after my "Year off": just sounds so hoity toity! (and wonderful friends to discuss options with)
  • I have said this before and will say it again. Taking a "year off" to "think about my next steps" is absolutely the height of privilege. The HEIGHT. I totally understand that. I am immensely lucky to have been afforded this opportunity and I am very very grateful to my friends all over the world who hosted me and communicated with me while I was gone. Thank you for indulging me.
  • What was your favorite place? I have NOOOOOOOOOO idea!!! They are all special and wonderful in their own way. There is so much to learn in the world and I have barely scratched the surface of finding out what there is to know. I think home is my favorite place... but absence does indeed make the heart grow fonder and while Vermont is amazing and beautiful, there are MANY MANY other places that are also amazing and beautiful. I am so lucky to get to see a few of them. 
And now I have written an epic. Great. Sorry! Hope some of that made sense! I just go on and on about nothing... what ridiculousness! Until next time! (Next trip!)

No comments:

Post a Comment